Matthew 11:28-30 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Joshua 24:15 -
Choose this day whom you will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Keep It Simple Silly

Do you ever find yourself making the simple complex unintentionally?

Do you ever find yourself wondering what to do next when the answer is as plain as day before your eyes?

Do you sometimes find yourself worrying about things you can do nothing about, causing you to miss doing the thing that is needed right in front of you?

I must confess I struggle with all these things at times.  Ok - probably even frequently.

Like today.  It is a beautiful Saturday afternoon.  I happen to be near New York City today, and thinking of what happened there 9 years ago on the fateful and sad day of September 11th.  What can I do about all the sadness and strife in the world?

Then I read the prescribed (Lectionary) readings for today from Holy Scripture.  I just love the Psalms.  There is so much wisdom in them.  Today's verse from Psalm 116 says:
12 How can I repay the LORD
       for all his goodness to me?
 13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
       and call on the name of the LORD.
17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
       and call on the name of the LORD.   
18 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
       in the presence of all his people
or as one translation says "I will offer a sacrifice of praise"!

There it is.  A question, and the answer, right in front of my face.

Thank you Lord.  Thank you for this day, for my family, for our freedom and each breath that I take.

Let us never take your gifts for granted.  Let us never fail to serve you and our neighbor.

Guide us in the paths of righteousness all our days.  Amen.

No comments: