Matthew 11:28-30 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Joshua 24:15 -
Choose this day whom you will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Cathedrals of Light

I have always loved churches.  The architecture, the artwork, their choir lofts and pipe organs.  The way they reach to the heavens and honor God by their very existence and the blood, sweat and resources invested by their builders.  I love to take and look at pictures of churches.  In fact, I have a collage of such photos posted to the web.  The cover photo for this album is a church I attended in Kingsworthy, England as a young boy.


This collage album has other church's of significance from my life.  Where we were married.  Our first church as a couple away from home.  The church where our firstborn received his first communion.  You get the idea.

Here is an album of our mostly renovated parish church, St. Peter's in Kingston, NY.


This church is part of a convent where my grandmother once studied.


Which brings us up to today. We were in the New York state capital of Albany doing some paperwork for an upcoming adoption and saw this beautiful cathedral.


Hope you enjoyed this little whirlwind tour through sacred architecture.  While God is everywhere and we can and should talk to him wherever we are, a proper church can give us a glimpse of what eternal worship will look like on the other side of life's veil.  Next time you drive past a church, stop and take a look inside.  God may have a message there just for you.

No comments: